Sunset on the River

Sunset on the River

Sunset on the river, the latest in my series of small quilts on the theme of "from the jungle to the sea". This is our local river, which gives its name to the small town where we live, Kuala Belait, and runs from the heart of the forest down to the South China Sea.
My inspiration photo and hand dyed fabrics.
I had my inspiration photos, taken on a sunset river trip a few years ago and some fabrics which I'd dyed a while ago for something else, and they were just the perfect color for this project. I started out using a random strip pieced background for the sky as in my piece Flying Home but I didn't like the way it turned out so I decided to do it all again but this time using larger pieces of fabric which I fused to the background.
Adding small snippets of fabric for the water reflections.
Once the main background pieces were in place I then cut lots of tiny pieces for the water reflections and a few sky details.

selection of threads for thread painting.

After everything is in place and I have the basic background completed then comes the fun part: adding detail  with lots of thread painting. Here I have used a selection of mostly polyester threads, including some new ones which I'd just got called Twist from Superior Threads which are made up of two different colors twisted together.
art quilt, sunset on the river, thread painting
Thread painting adds detail.

Comments